At PrimaNora Medical Centre, we categorise stem cell therapy within regenerative medicine, as it has capabilities that allow the cells to repair, replace or restore damaged tissues in the body. The healing properties that stem cells possess can potentially treat illnesses otherwise seen as terminal or prevent these diseases from worsening.
With ample research and cutting-edge laboratory techniques, the physicians at PrimaNora have made it possible to extract high numbers of adult stem cells using fat from your body. This revelation has made the treatment of debilitating diseases much more accessible and has proven effective when used to treat a variety of illnesses.
The Purpose of Stem Cells
The phrase “stem cell” has become a popular buzzword in modern media but most people are unaware of the benefits that stem cells actually provide. A stem cell is known as an undifferentiated cell, which means that it is capable of dividing and turning into the type of cell present in the area where it has been administered.
Patients who suffer from diseases that form as a result of damaged tissues often benefit from the use of adult stem cells due to their ability to regenerate healthier tissues without compromising their natural biological system.
There are a few different forms of stem cells, each with their own specialised role:
- Adult stem cells: Autologous cells found primarily in a patient’s fat and used to restore damaged tissues.
- Umbilical stem cells: Cells that have been harvested from a patient’s umbilical cord after their birth with a plan to use them at a later date.
- Embryonic stem cells: Cells that have been extracted from frozen or fertilised eggs in an in-vitro fertilisation centre.
The type of stem cell you and your physician decide to use ultimately depends on the part of your body being treated. However, no matter which form of stem cell you use, once they are released into the treatment area, the cells will begin to multiply and change based on the specific factors in their environment.
Stem Cell Therapy at PrimaNora
At PrimaNora Medical Centre, we focus primary on the adult stem cell, which we are able to harvest through fat extractions from your body. Although adult stem cells are generally found within the bone marrow (the conventional method of stem cell extraction), we have found that adult stem cells are in larger abundance when harvested from fat.
We do not perform bone marrow transplants at PrimaNora due to the fact that it is a painful procedure and also because only a few million adult stem cells are actually yielded, as opposed to a 10 to 100 million yield from fat extractions. Stem cells from bone marrow also require a culture period in order for the cell to be of use, which is not a step that needs to be taken when they are extracted from fat.
Stem cell therapy has been shown to help treat:
- Spinal chord injuries
- Heart disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Lung diseases
It has also been proven effective when treating orthopaedic conditions like joint and soft tissue injuries, back pain, degenerative disc disorder, whiplash and more.
- In order to use your own stem cells for treatment, your physician will extract 200cc-worth of fat from your waist area, which is then placed into a centrifuge to separate the stem cells from the fat cells. Afterwards, your stem cells are activated using laser light and platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and then re-administered into your body by use of an injection or IV, both of which are minimally invasive.
- Because the adult stem cells are autologous (meaning they come from your own body), there is no chance of your body rejecting to cells, creating an adverse reaction or transmitting any diseases that are not your own.
- Additionally, general anaesthesia is not necessary and instead, lighter oral sedatives are also rarely used for your comfort during the procedure. Harvesting and using your stem cells is an out-patient procedure that takes approximately three hours to complete. You can return to your daily routine after one or two days and experience very little down time overall with no need for post-operative medications.[/su_list]
If you would like more information about stem cell therapy or to find out whether your stem cells can be harvested as treatment for a degenerative disease, contact PrimaNora Medical Centre at +603 7728 2886 and schedule a consultation with one of our physicians today.